Lunch & Learn – Trademarks and Copyrights: The Basics for Small Businesses
- How to select a trademark for your business that will be both federally registrable and protectable, highlighting factors critical when choosing a mark
- How to avoid scams seeking payments for services not required by the USPTO
- How to use images in promotional materials that will not be infringing the rights claimed by others
- The importance of doing a complete search and whether to use an attorney
- What to do if another trademark owner sends a “cease-and-desist” letter
- What happens after trademark registration
These and other topics appropriate for any small business trying to navigate through the complexities of intellectual property will be covered in this session.
Speaker Craig Morris works within the Office of the Commissioner for Trademarks in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Alexandria, Virginia. Currently, he is the Managing Attorney for Trademark Educational Outreach, spearheading the effort for increased USPTO educational activities in the area of trademark fundamentals. For fourteen years prior, he headed the Trademark Electronic Application System, helping move the Trademark Operation toward a total e-government environment. Mr. Morris has been with the USPTO since 1983, previously serving as a Law Office Examining Attorney, Senior Attorney, and Managing Attorney.
Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2019
Time: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Albemarle County Office Building on McIntire
401 McIntire Rd
Charlottesville VA 22902
Registration closed for this event.